Social profiles will become disconnected from time to time. Whilst this can be frustrating, it's good to keep in mind that this is normal behavior and is usually the result of the social network making a change to keep your account safe and secure.
Connections between Statusbrew and your social profiles require access tokens, which can expire for a number of reasons, including password changes and explicit lifespans of an access token.
When do access tokens expire, causing your social account to disconnect?
Regardless of the social network, the access token will expire and you will need to reconnect your account under the following circumstances:
- If the username or password of the social account is changed
Changing your social account username or the password will result in that social network removing Statusbrew's access to your account because the original credentials that were used to authenticate the account no longer exist. Always reconnect your profiles/pages to Statusbrew immediately after you make any updates to username or password.
- If Statusbrew's access to the social network has been revoked
Each social network has an area where third-party apps can be granted authorization to access your account. If Statusbrew's access is revoked or altered, this will result in the loss of the access token and your account is disconnected.
Below you will find links to the area within each social network where third-party apps can be granted authorization:
Social network specifics
In addition to the reasons outlined above, each social network also has their own policies on access tokens and when they might expire.
- Facebook and Instagram
Facebook API documentation states that access tokens usually have a lifetime of about 60 days, which means your account will need to be reconnected at that point.
Below are some of the other reasons an access token may expire:
- You no longer have Admin access (for Facebook Pages)
- You are publishing identical posts to several accounts at exactly the same time
- You are logging into your account from many different IP addresses (for instance, if several folks have the email and password login information for your account
- You are often logging in and out of several different accounts
Twitter accounts connected to Statusbrew should not require frequent reconnection, since the access tokens they issue do not have specific lifespans or expiry dates. That said, we do see Twitter accounts becoming disconnected from time to time, usually due to accounts being suspended due to duplicate content being published, or other spam-like behaviors.
LinkedIn accounts connected to Statusbrew will require reconnecting every 60 days since that's the lifespan of the access tokens granted by LinkedIn.
Other reasons that an access token from LinkedIn might expire include:
- You are publishing identical posts to several LinkedIn accounts at exactly the same time
- You no longer have Admin access (for LinkedIn Pages)